J Lawrie & Sons (Jaffy’s)
For over 70 years, the Lawrie family have used the same traditional methods to produce multi-award winning products including Traditional Oak Smoked Salmon, Hot Roasted Salmon and ‘Jaffy’s’ Famous Mallaig Kippers.
We have been traditionally smoking Scottish seafood in Mallaig for nearly 75 years. Handed down through four generations of the Lawrie family. Our traditions, process and family heritage stands us out from the crowd. Jaffy, the business founder learnt his trade in the 1930s during the boom times of the herring trade and his sons built our harbour smokehouse, which we continue to use today. The brick kiln is imbued with decades of slowly burning whisky cask oak shavings. Today, we insist on producing our products by hand and can do this without the need for anything more than hard work, fresh Scottish seafood and the ever-present Scottish wind to stoke the smouldering fires.
We have won many accolades for our Kippers, Smoked Salmon and Hot Roasted Salmon, our products have been described as delicate and moist with the “perfect balance of oil, salt and smoke in each bite”.
Our aim is to carry on producing high quality, hand crafted, sustainably sourced Scottish smoked seafood.
Our products are available from our online shop (www.jaffys.co.uk) and can be delivered anywhere within the UK or from our shop at Station Road, Mallaig.
AFT Approved Products
Great Taste Awards 2017:
- Jaffy’s Oak Smoked Salmon – 1 star
- Jaffy’s Oak Smoked Organic Salmon – 1 star
- Jaffy’s Oak Smoked Salmon with a Rum Finish – 1 star
Great Taste Awards 2016:
- Jaffys Kippers – 3 stars
- Jaffys Hot Smoked Salmon with a Glayva Glaze – 2 stars
- Jaffys Oak Smoked Salmon – 1 star
- Jaffys Oak Smoked Spiced Salmon – 1 star
- Jaffys Seaweed Infused Smoked Salmon – 1 star
- Jaffys Hot Smoked Peppered Salmon – 1 star
Great Taste Awards 2015:
- Jaffys Mallaig Kippers – 1 star
- Jaffys Peat Smoked Scottish Salmon – 1 star
- Jaffys Hot Smoked Scottish Salmon with a Drambuie Glaze – 1 star
- Jaffys Peppered Hot Smoked Scottish Salmon – 1 star
- Great Taste Awards 2010 – 2014
12 x 1 Gold Stars
1 x 2 Gold Stars
3 x 3 Gold Stars
- Golden Fork for Scotland
2012, 2014 and 2016
- Top 50 Foods
2012, 2014 and 2016
- Scottish Excellence Awards
- DEFRA 50 Food Star 2015
- Food Awards Scotland
Seafood Supplier of the Year 2015