Pasta with Smoked Salmon and Capers
This quick dish of pasta with smoked salmon and capers is something delicious that can be rustled up as a midweek meal.
With just a few ingredients, it takes no time at all to prepare the sauce, in fact, the pasta takes longer to boil!
The recipe is unusual in that it uses whey protein powder to make the sauce. This was one of our little experiments to see what we could create with the product from Farmhouse Organics.
If you don’t have any whey protein powder you could used double cream instead, just omit the milk.
- 180ml skimmed milk
- 4 tbsp whey protein powder
- 200g penne pasta
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli (optional), finely chopped
- a little parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
- grated zest of ½ lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
- 100g cold-smoked salmon, cut into strips
First whisk together the skimmed milk and whey protein powder making sure it is well mixed and no lumps remain. Set aside.
Cook the pasta according to pack instructions.
While the pasta is boiling make the sauce.
Gently fry the spring onions in the olive oil until softened.
Over a very low heat stir in the whey powder and milk mixture. Keep stirring all the time while the sauce gradually thickens.
Add the grated parmesan and stir until melted through the sauce. Remove from the heat.
Add the red chilli (if using), the capers and lemon zest. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
Drain the pasta and tip into the sauce along with the smoked salmon and stir well to combine. Serve.
Join our Newsletter Email List
For the latest producer info, shows, markets, recipes, competitions and more each month. Please be assured that we don't sell or pass on your information to third parties.
Keep up to date with:
- New and approved producers and produce
- Offers, discounts, competitions and more
- Seasonal produce and great tasting downloadable recipe ideas
- Shows, events and markets