To extract all the gorgeous green goodness, a watercress soup is refreshing and an ideal lunchtime treat, but it is also elegant enough to serve as a dinner party starter.
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 25g butter
- 250g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 600ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 150g watercress roughly chopped
- 50ml cream
- a little milk if needed
- salt and black pepper
In a large pan gently melt the butter, add the onion and cook the onion until soft and translucent but not browned.
Add the potatoes and stock and cook until the potatoes are soft, for approximately 15-20 minutes.
When potatoes are almost cooked, add the watercress and cook no longer than 5 minutes.
Tip into a liquidiser, add the cream and blend until smooth.
Use a little extra milk if the soup seems too thick.
Season with salt and black pepper and serve hot.
Drizzle with some extra cream to serve.
TIP: Take care not to overcook the soup once the watercress is added as this will destroy the flavour and the colour may not be so appealing.
Join our Newsletter Email List
For the latest producer info, shows, markets, recipes, competitions and more each month. Please be assured that we don't sell or pass on your information to third parties.
Keep up to date with:
- New and approved producers and produce
- Offers, discounts, competitions and more
- Seasonal produce and great tasting downloadable recipe ideas
- Shows, events and markets