Smoked Bacon, Bean and Savoy Cabbage Soup
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil (extra virgin cold pressed) plus extra for drizzling
- 150g thick-cut smoked bacon, cut into small strips
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 400g tin Borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 900ml vegetable stock
- 1 small savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Pecorino or Parmesan cheese, to serve
Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon and set aside.
Into the pan, add the onion, thyme, carrots, celery and garlic and fry gently for about 5 minutes until soft. Stir occasionally and be careful not to burn the vegetables.
Return the bacon to the pan along with the beans and stock. Stir to combine and bring the pan to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
Stir in the cabbage and continue to simmer for a further 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve in bowls drizzled with rapeseed oil and use a vegetable peeler to shave over the Pecorino cheese.
Sign up to receive our newsletter
For the latest producer info, shows, markets, recipes, competitions and more each month. Please be assured that we don't sell or pass on your information to third parties.
Keep up to date with:
- New and approved producers and produce
- Offers, discounts, competitions and more
- Seasonal produce and great tasting downloadable recipe ideas
- Shows, events and markets