Brazilian Style Black Beans
Black beans are very much a staple in Brazilian cuisine and we thought they would be the perfect accompaniment to our prawn dish using Capsicana’s Chilli & Coconut Brazilian Cook Sauce.
Traditionally, dried beans would be used which need a long soak and cook beforehand, so to speed things up we used the ready-cooked, ones in a carton, which are just as good in our version.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 60g bacon lardon bits or streaky bacon cut into small pieces
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch dried oregano
- 1 green chilli pepper, slit lengthways
- 1x 340g carton/can black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- squeeze of lime juice
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and fry until slightly crispy.
Add the cumin seeds, onions, garlic, bay leaf and oregano and fry gently until the onions are soft and translucent.
Add the black beans and green chilli with a little water, stir to mix and simmer for 15 minutes.
Using a potato masher or fork crush about a quarter of the beans in the pan and stir to mix in to the whole beans making a thick sauce.
Season with a little salt and pepper to taste.
Finish with a good spritz of lime juice
Join our Newsletter Email List
For the latest producer info, shows, markets, recipes, competitions and more each month. Please be assured that we don't sell or pass on your information to third parties.
Keep up to date with:
- New and approved producers and produce
- Offers, discounts, competitions and more
- Seasonal produce and great tasting downloadable recipe ideas
- Shows, events and markets