Spiced Lentil Soup with Lime and Mint
Warming food is definitely still on the menu and this is a healthy meal, full of flavour and simple to make. The addition of lime juice, lime zest and mint really brighten the soup making it exciting on the palate.
- 1 tbsp cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder (use a good quality one)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 200g red lentils, rinsed in cold water and drained
- 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 50g sultanas
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, coarsely chopped (reserve some for garnish)
- 150g natural yogurt
Place a large saucepan on the hob over a medium heat. Add the oil and when hot add in the onions, curry powder, garlic, ginger and cumin seeds and fry gently until the onions become soft for about 3 minutes.
Add the lentils and stock and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat down and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Add the sultanas and cook for another 10 minutes.
Add the lime zest and juice and most of the mint (saving some for garnish) and stir in. Taste to check the seasoning and add pepper and salt if necessary. Depending on your stock you may not need to add any salt.
Ladle into bowls and spoon a dollop of yogurt on to each and finish with a sprinkling of mint.
Serve with warm naan bread or chapattis.
More recipes to try…
Sign up to receive our newsletter
For the latest producer info, shows, markets, recipes, competitions and more each month. Please be assured that we don't sell or pass on your information to third parties.
Keep up to date with:
- New and approved producers and produce
- Offers, discounts, competitions and more
- Seasonal produce and great tasting downloadable recipe ideas
- Shows, events and markets