Wild Venison Chorizo and Butter Bean Stew
Hearty and healthy, this stew of wild venison chorizo, butter beans and vegetables is a simply and tasty meal, made all in one pot. Just serve with some good crusty bread to soak up all the juices.
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 75g chilli venison chorizo, sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 100g celeriac, peeled and chopped into 1cm dice
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped into 1cm dice
- ½ tsp fresh thyme, chopped or ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp fresh rosemary, chopped or ¼ tsp dried rosemary
- 400g tin tomatoes
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 red capsicum pepper (approx 100g), roughly chopped
- 2 tsp blackberry vinegar or you could use red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 400g tin butter beans
- salt and black pepper
Put a large heavy saucepan on the hob over a high heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot add the chorizo and fry until it just starts to crisp. Remove the chorizo from the pan using a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the onion and garlic to the pan and fry gently until soft. Add the celeriac and carrot and fry gently for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the thyme and rosemary and mix in.
Tip in the tinned tomatoes and break them up using a spoon. Add the paprika, capsicum pepper, vinegar, sugar and butter beans and season with salt and pepper. Return the chorizo to the pan along with half a tomato tin of water and stir to mix.
Bring to a simmer and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
Serve in bowls with hunks of crusty bread.
Join our Newsletter Email List
For the latest producer info, shows, markets, recipes, competitions and more each month. Please be assured that we don't sell or pass on your information to third parties.
Keep up to date with:
- New and approved producers and produce
- Offers, discounts, competitions and more
- Seasonal produce and great tasting downloadable recipe ideas
- Shows, events and markets